It’s been rumored and hinted and sort of confirmed but today Disney gave us a few more details to swoon over about the Mary Poppins sequel.
I know, I know. “Don’t mess with a classic.” I hear you. But I must say, Disney’s done a pretty good job with reboots, live action remakes of animated films, and even (somewhat accurate) historical films. The last time we saw Mary Poppins on screen was 2013’s Saving Mr. Banks which was certified Fresh by Rotten Tomatoes. So it’s possible this will be worth your time.
Here’s what we know so far about Mary Poppins Returns:
- Emily Blunt will play Mary Poppins.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda will play a new character named Jack who is a street lamplighter.
- Rob Marshall will direct the film. He also directed Into the Woods which also starred Emily Blunt.
- The film takes place in Depression-era London.
- Jane and Michael Banks are now grown up.
- Michael has three children of his own.
- Mary Poppins returns after a personal loss to the family.
- Mary Poppins helps the family rekindle the joy and wonder missing in their lives after this loss.
- The film releases December 25th, 2018 – Christmas day.
We’ll start in a much darker setting in London. And by the looks of it, the kids aren’t doing so well either after what sounds like the loss of a family member.
Disney faced some hesitancy with P.L. Travers during the original Mary Poppins release so we’re curious to see how this will factor into the sequel.